I’m going on a cruise in a few days! I haven’t been on one in 7 years so I’m definitely excited. Cruises to the Caribbean are a very common vacation here in South Florida because there are so many ports, the Caribbean is so close, and they’re pretty affordable.
The ticket prices range depending on how many days you’re cruising but the average is about $200-$800. Almost everything is included in the ticket price including a room, unlimited food, plenty of different free shows and activities, and access to all the pools, casinos, and buffets. Alternate dining, activities, spas, alcohol, tips, and excursions are an extra cost.
Cruising is always a lot of fun and a great way to travel to many new places. Rooms are usually very small so you’re definitely limited on what you can bring. You need to make sure you’re bringing just the essentials, especially if you’re sharing a room with multiple people. Every cruise varies on what you need to bring based on the countries you’ll be traveling to and from.
The one I’m about to go on is a 4-day cruise from Miami, Fl. to Cozumel, Mexico. So, I put together this quick round-up of US Caribbean cruise essentials.
Caribbean Cruise Essentials:
- Beach Attire: Pack as if you’re going to the beach. Tank tops, shorts, dresses, cover-ups, bathing suits, and sandals. You’ll be lounging by the pool or the jacuzzi all day when you’re on the ship and when you’re off you’ll be exploring the hot, humid cities in the Caribbean or going on one of the many ocean excursions that cruises offer.
- Formal Clothes: Most vacationers tend to dress up for dinner every night in the dining room so you’ll want to bring a few nice outfits. Also, on most cruises they’ll have a Captain’s night. This is a formal dinner that takes place one night during your trip. So you’ll want to bring one formal outfit for this.
- Tote Bag: In my opinion, the best bag for cruising is a tote bag. You can carry extra clothes and sunscreen with you while you’re on the ship and you’ll have a big bag for souvenirs, etc. while exploring the Caribbean cities.
- Hat: Protect your face! Bring a cute panama hat, fedora hat, or a cute baseball cap. They’re not only amazing at protecting your face and neck, they’re one of the best accessories. STYLE TIP: To make an outfit feel complete simply slip on a hat! They’re one of those accessories that finish an outfit the perfect way.
- Sunscreen: The Caribbean is hot and the sun is much stronger in this part of the world since it’s closer to the Equator. Sunscreen is a must! Especially if you’re not used to the intensity of the sun. Don’t be 15 year old Michelle who didn’t put on any sunscreen and came back looking like a very painful lobster!
- Bug Spray: The Caribbean does have Zika warnings so make sure to put on some bug spray once you leave the ship.
- Downy Wrinkle Releaser: This stuff is magic! It gets the wrinkles out of everything. Simply spray your wrinkled clothing, shake it out, tug on it a bit, and then hang it to dry. The wrinkles disappear.
- Bathroom Products: I always bring the basics: hair straightener, some argan oil, shampoo, conditioner, body soap, toothpaste, deodorant, and perfume. Another must-have is coconut oil. I use it as a deep conditioner after I get out of the saltwater pool or ocean. Works amazing! I also bring Poo-Pourri. If you haven’t heard about it before, check this stuff out! It’s a must when sharing a small bathroom!
- Cameras: You won’t want to miss the beautiful views! I have the GoPro HERO5 Black and it’s absolutely perfect for all the cruise activities.
You don’t have to worry about bringing any travel adapters or exchanging currency. All the outlets on the ship are US outlets. And, most cruise ports in the Caribbean will take US dollars.
Also, most cruise ships do not offer free wifi, it’s an extra charge. Try to disconnect for a few days and enjoy being wifi-free. It’s freeing to be disconnected for a while! Leave your computers at home and live in the moment. Take pictures and enjoy your time with your loved ones.
Shop My Cruise Style Must-Haves:
Those are my Caribbean cruise essentials! Next time you see me, I’ll be sipping on some margaritas in Mexico. 😋
Do you have a favorite cruise destination? Let me know in the comments!